Thursday 5 March 2015

5 month update

He'll be 5 months soon.

I blinked and the time went by.  With each month, the fog lifts, and my heart swells more and more with pride and admiration for this beautiful little soul and the woman who brought him into this world and our lives.

I've heard it called the "longest, shortest time" and I think the name captures my experience with parenting (so far) perfectly.

He's about 17 lbs now, and is just about to out grow his 9 month sleepers.  I swear the labels they put on clothing are just to confuse everyone, because he's at about the 50th percentile for weight and height.

I'm enjoying every month more and more.  The sleep deprivation is lifting and I love seeing his personality emerge.   He is happy, and relaxed, and just a really nice boy to be around.  People are always commenting about how happy and cute he is, and I feel so lucky.

The time passing makes me feel sad about saying goodbye to some things, like how he used to only like to sleep by snuggling into my neck.  And oh my gosh - every time I put something in the box of outgrown clothes (again!) it makes me a little teary.

I find it hard to resist the temptation to capture everything with my camera because I just want to be able to relive all of these moments.  Often when he's sleeping I'll watch the videos that I took over and over.  He's intoxicating, and sometimes I just can't get enough of him.

I try not to focus on it for long, but instead think about how cute he will look in the new outfit that I can now put on him, or how exciting it is to watch him learn new skills all of the time.

He has started to roll over, and has done it about five times in the last week or so.  He can really hold his head up high now when he is on his belly.  He will sometimes push his bum into the air and it makes me think that in a few weeks he'll be on the move.  I love my stationary little guy and it freaks me out a bit to think that he could be on the move already.

He loves to shriek and scream and hear his own voice.  He is interested in what we have to say to him, and he tries to talk to us.  I tell him I love him a million times a day.

I love how easy he is to make smile now.  I used to work for a long time to be rewarded with one smile.  And oh, it was so worth the effort then, but now he gives his smiles out so much more generously and I love it.  I can't get enough of that gummy little grin and slobbery face.

He's getting into more of a routine now.  I can see that he is headed towards one bigger nap in the morning and one in the afternoon, which is so much nicer than the million little cat naps that he was taking before.  It's certainly not because I've done this, he's worked it out himself.

I thought I would be a more scheduled parent, but it turns out that (at this point) I like to go with the flow and take Babykins' lead on when he needs a nap or to be fed.  I find it exhausting to try to make him do something (like nap) when he's not quite ready.  It is so much more peaceful to just follow his lead. He seems to know what he's doing, certainly a lot better than his newbie parents.  I also find at schedule would be difficult because he is always changing (having a growth spurt or getting over an illness), and that a more scheduled approach just would not serve us well.

I love also that he is good at playing independently.  He's content to spend time chewing on his hands and likes to now stick a handful of his fingers in his mouth all at once.  He'll gag himself and then look at me like "what happened?!?" or "who did that?"

He's still got reflux.  We just invested in 20 more new bibs and it has made life better.  I'm not sure what took us so long to do that.  Some days it feels like he doesn't spit up much, and other days, he just gushes.  If anything, it's improving slightly, but it's hard to say.  We are certainly getting better at coping with it.  

Off to watch some House of Cards... I can't get enough of that either!


6 comments:

  1. He sounds like such a sweet boy, and you are certainly wonderful parents! 5 months already!? That went sooo fast.

    And I know House of Cards is just sitting there waiting for me...I've been too busy to start and I know I'll want to watch it all if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, seeing what is in store for us! You have a wonderful relationship with him! I do that thing, too---watching videos while he is asleep, so funny, like, he's right there in front of me, and I'm watching videos. Everything changes at lightening speed and you want to linger! The reflux---I wonder when they outgrow that? I get so frustrated on his behalf....yesterday, he vomitted up an entire bottle. /: Glad to hear the sleep deprivation will get better SOON. Also interesting to hear your take on scheduling---we are trying so many different ways of going about things. Sometimes it seems like scheduling helps all of us, other times it stresses me out. anyway, love to you both. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The time did fly by. It warms my heart to read what it's like for you to be a mother and it makes me giddy for what's in store for us later this month when our little man arrives. Thank you for sharing these small moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been five months already! Every time I read an update I am just so happy for you guys. You deserve all of this joy and more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that he's such a delight. I find it interesting to hear how how you thought you would parent and how you are actually parenting. I love these updates

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say